Skip to main content

Charleston (Not book related by any means)

This is about Charleston.

Here is Jon Stewart's commentary


This man will be missed immensely.

Listen. I have two twitter accounts. One is strictly personal and for my daily gripes about everything from work to soaps and reality television. It's also the account in which I interact the most with followers and have made actual friends. The other account is more or less strictly book related. It is about updates to books, releases, etc. I normally keep my personal feelings regarding politics, race relations, people in general off of this blog. But I can't do that this time, because I've realized after today that there are still folks who want to be complicit in racism by being silent and wanting to silence others. I actually read a tweet from someone who followed me who said the 'race' of the people who were killed "didn't matter" because it was a tragic event. Considering those 9 people were murdered BECAUSE of their race, I think that makes it pretty damn important, meaning it DOES matter. Taking race out of this only means that you want to focus on just the killings themselves instead of the reason WHY they happened which in a case like this, is again, damn important.

The 'head in the sand' technique is why, as Jon Stewart so cleverly put, things will continue on as they are. People are so afraid of admitting that racism still exists in this country that they almost need for the reason this person went into a church and killed nine people, even though he admitted to wanting to kill blacks, to be about anything BUT race. Why is that? Why are we so afraid to discuss racism? When will the time come that we can actually sit down and have a real conversation about the history of this country? The genocide? They say we are doomed to repeat history, but does that even count when we have never stopped living it?

A 14 year old black girl in a bikini was sat on by a policeman. The anger unleashed in her direction because she was considered 'mouthy', like most of us black woman are often accused of being when we speak our minds. She was swung around by her braids and told to put her face into the ground. She begged for her mother and instead got a knee in her back. This was a child. At a pool party. In a two piece. With no weapon. With no crime committed. Being treated like a criminal or worse than a dog about to be put down.

The man who sat with church goers before killing them and managed to flee to an entirely different state was apprehended in a way that appeared as if someone was just going to pick him up for a daily poker game. And from what I could see was not handcuffed, and on top of everything else placed in a bulletproof vest. Because, of course, let's protect the murderer.

Makes sense.

Black children have been killed by cops for displaying toy guns. Black children have been killed by angry racists white men who believe the child in question is playing their music too loud while sitting next to them. Black children have been killed by cops and called "monsters" despite being unarmed and despite committing no crimes of murder. Black men and women are killed simply for existing, simply for daring to be born with a darker pigmentation.

Why are we always victims of SHOOT FIRST, ask later? Why are we never given the benefit of the doubt? Unlike Rachel Dolezal, I can't wash off my struggle in the shower, it lives with me daily.

Why can a white man who killed nine people NOT be bumrushed by police? Why can he not be SAT on by police? Why was he not SHOT AT by police, especially when it's been said that he was armed at the time? Why is HE not called a monster and instead is FLOWN back to the state by police in which he committed his crimes?

Did I answer my own questions? This man will have his day in court when previous black victims never have a chance to voice their side.

And yet, people still want to claim that this country is still not inherently racist and that everything that happens to people of color is simply a tragedy while comparing it to other crimes committed against non-POC's.

Mindboggling.

He is not the first and we can pretty much guarantee that he won't be the last. But it speaks loud and clear to the history of how we as a people are still treated as unequals. And to the history of violence.

Yes, I am angry. I deserve to be angry as should anyone else who understands the history of this country.

I don't know what's to come from this. I could say so much more on the matter, but I think it's best if I just stop here.

Embedded image permalink

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are You Ready for A Brand New MC Romance?! ~ Introducing 'Reaper's Promise'

The original title was "Chained to the Bad Boy Biker" but as the plot grew to be more complicated and the characters developed, I decided to change the theme and title to ' REAPER'S PROMISE '. It will soon be both available for sale on AMAZON for 99cents and in Kindle Unlimited. So if you are part of that program, you will be able to read this book for FREE in the library! Here is the blurb along with the official cover: "They play by the rules and get f*cked. We don't and never do."   Colette: I woke up in Vegas married to my ex-boyfriend's hot as hell biker brother. Not that I'm exactly complaining considering I've practically been in love with him since forever, but... Record scratch. Wait a second. I bet you're wondering how the hell a kindergarten teacher got here, right? Well join the (biker) club, because so am I!     Roman: She woke up next to me in Vegas with a diamond cuff around her ankle a

A Shadow Riders MC: Bluespiration

Blue + Inspiration = Bluespiration... You get it. Anywho! It took me awhile, but I think I finally found my Blue! Now he's younger than I'd like, a wee bit taller than he should be, his eyes are a different color than written and his hair is much longer than Blue's will ever get...  BUT. BUT. BUT. BUT . LOOK AT THIS GUY. JUST LOOK. ( I'm not sure where this picture is from originally, but I got it from PINTEREST ) He's like Tarzan and Thor all rolled into one or something. His name is Brock O'Hurn and he's an apparent Instagram star because he looks, well, like that . I'd seen him before ( long before I penned a single Shadow Riders book ) but when I kept thinking about Blue and what he looked like, a face similar to this is what kept popping up. To me, Blue has always had the wisdom of someone like Bobby from #SOA but looks as if he could even set the sun on fire. Anyway, I thought I'd sha

FWIW: This is a Personal Note, so Please Read at Your Own Risk

I truly appreciate the passion many readers have for Inflamed - the title is very aptly named, I think. However ( and I never planned to do this and don't really ever plan to address something like this again in the future, but it's kind of getting to me personally and affecting my daily writing process for the next book ), I don't think I expected some of the more vitriolic messages I've received as a result of this book either. Now, I expected opposition to the story/characters/writing/setting/swearing before I was even halfway done with the book, so that's not what this is about. People are entitled to feel how they choose and once a book leaves my hands and is in yours, it's no longer something I "own". Truth be told, I really appreciate hearing all sides because it helps me to grow as an author, and this is where reader feedback comes in. But I think that a line of respect on both ends sort of needs to be drawn as well. I stay away from revi