Skip to main content

You've Got to Live & Learn: Miss Independent Book 3, BOOK BLURB & PRE ORDER INFO



BLURB:

In LIVE & LEARN, the third book in the Miss Independent series, Vanessa attempts to erase the past, while Maurice comes to grips with a long ago decision that he fears may damage his future with her. Nikki grows closer to William, as Melanie and Oscar continue to grow further and further apart. And Sheila begins to question her decision to marry Nathan as he contends with the possible consequence of his most recent, and reckless actions. 


Now, a little background info as previously promised, and perhaps a little more insight as to why the books are written as they are and why L&L might be my favorite one to have written in the series thus far (you may understand that part more after you read the book):

I have yet to mention this, but I'm a big fan of soap operas. Started when I was a kid with my grandmother watching The Young and the Restless and my first love was Shemar Moore. Still is Since then, I watched every soap that ever aired during my lifetime, both teen and adult. This is more or less to say that I am a fan of the genre. Not so much the over the top unrealistic nature that it can take, but the characterization and rich storytelling that it provides. When you're going from episode to episode, it really is like watching a 600 page novel play out onscreen. Soaps end (ie cancellation), but at the same time, they never really seem to, do they? Because the characters still live on in some aspect with the fans for years and years.

It may sound crazy, but it gives me a huge chuckle to see that nearly everyone wants to slap Vanessa silly. I never thought of that as I was writing her because I was just telling a story. She was essentially chosen as my MC because none of these people would give a damn about or have a single thing to do with each other without her. Having said that, it gives me strange joy to see such strong reactions to her because it means that in some way, she matters to you. Even if you want to knock her block off, she made you feel something, rage, anger, whatever it was, she made you feel. That's what soap opera characters have done for me my entire life; they make me love them, hate them, and love to hate them. Over the years, my daytime soap watching in particular waned a little, but has recently started to pick back up. Between primetime soaps like Empire (one of the best shows on television IMO) and the game changing daytime soap The Bold and Beautiful on CBS, I'm so happy to see that character driven stories are once again at the forefront on these networks. It's like the exec's are finally taking the pages from the novels we love reading and seeing what makes people care so much about them.

The inspiration behind Miss Independent came from my love for the original Beverly Hills 90210, the show that basically fathered every teen drama that came after it. And make no mistake, I watched every single one of those shows too. But regarding 90210 in particular, I was a fan of the character Brenda Walsh (and if I can recall, a lot of people wanted to slap her as well from time to time, including me), but more than that, I loved her relationship with bad boy Dylan McKay. When Dylan cheated on Brenda with her best friend Kelly, I was flabbergasted. I started writing Miss Independent after seeing this particular scene in a rerun:



I was around seventeen when I first saw it because at the time, 90210 aired old seasons on the weekends on FOX. What I hadn't seen when I was a child, I got to see then. As soon as I saw Brenda walk away from those two people in that park, I went straight to my computer and started writing a form of fan fiction. But as I continued going, I realized that as much as I loved the characters, I was more interested in creating my own that I could personally identify with. So I made the core 3 characters African-American and put them on the east coast instead of on the beach in California. As time went on and I continued writing, every character began fleshing out in my head, becoming their own identities. But it would take years before they blossomed into what they are now.

I stopped writing the story when I felt I couldn't get it right on paper and started penning other stories instead. But the characters in MI were so strong in my head that I could never really forget them. After turning 29 last December, the story suddenly started knocking on my head louder than before and I knew that if I didn't get it right by 'fixing' what was wrong with the original story and putting it out there for people to read, I would never get it done. And so I sat down, and wrote, and wrote, and wrote for two and a half weeks straight. I already had the characters and the story, it was just a matter of making it feel more complete. It felt like I was sitting at a table with these five people and they were telling me what was going on in their lives. Writing it this time around felt very natural to me and everything completely fell into place.

So that's a little backstory as to how it all originally came about. I feel like Live & Learn has set the official tone for the rest of the books and hope you like it. I'm glad that people are reacting to this story, whether it be good or bad. It's just enough that you FEEL something while reading. That will always be my ultimate goal as a writer.

Pre Orders for the digital version are available HERE on AMAZON for $2.99. If you're seeing less than the desired pages at the moment, do not worry. More pages will be added as I continue to edit the final copy, but you WILL receive the book in its entirety to your Kindle ON TIME!

Once it becomes available on SMASHWORDS and other places, I will inform you ASAP!

Paperbacks will be available soon after and announced in a following post.

Official release date will be May 5th, 2015!

Part One reveal on this blog April 1st!

So many dates to remember, but I hope you do! Don't worry, I will help. As always, Happy Reading!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CRASHED: Prologue

Prologue   Sarasota, Florida   10 Years Earlier   Crash   "You know the first time I ever fucked that crazy bitch was in the back of her own goddamn car? Balls to the walls -- cock straight to the back of her motherfuckin' throat like a pro." Crash flicked a violent stream of ashes to the ground like a motherfucker who had just smoked his last joint and stared across the Demons parking lot with a wave of remembrance in his eyes. As a whisper of freshly burned rubber lingered high in the air, he lowered his gaze from the smoke covered clubhouse and chuckled. "But do you know what the fuck her ass said right after it was done? ' Do you love me yet, baby? '"    Stacks crossed his heavily tatted arms and arched a greying brow, glancing at his brother from the corner of his eye as he shrugged. "And how the fuck did your ass manage to respond to some shit like that?"   "Told her I could barely remember her name and I can't love a bitch whose

Are You Ready for A Brand New MC Romance?! ~ Introducing 'Reaper's Promise'

The original title was "Chained to the Bad Boy Biker" but as the plot grew to be more complicated and the characters developed, I decided to change the theme and title to ' REAPER'S PROMISE '. It will soon be both available for sale on AMAZON for 99cents and in Kindle Unlimited. So if you are part of that program, you will be able to read this book for FREE in the library! Here is the blurb along with the official cover: "They play by the rules and get f*cked. We don't and never do."   Colette: I woke up in Vegas married to my ex-boyfriend's hot as hell biker brother. Not that I'm exactly complaining considering I've practically been in love with him since forever, but... Record scratch. Wait a second. I bet you're wondering how the hell a kindergarten teacher got here, right? Well join the (biker) club, because so am I!     Roman: She woke up next to me in Vegas with a diamond cuff around her ankle a

A Shadow Riders MC: Bluespiration

Blue + Inspiration = Bluespiration... You get it. Anywho! It took me awhile, but I think I finally found my Blue! Now he's younger than I'd like, a wee bit taller than he should be, his eyes are a different color than written and his hair is much longer than Blue's will ever get...  BUT. BUT. BUT. BUT . LOOK AT THIS GUY. JUST LOOK. ( I'm not sure where this picture is from originally, but I got it from PINTEREST ) He's like Tarzan and Thor all rolled into one or something. His name is Brock O'Hurn and he's an apparent Instagram star because he looks, well, like that . I'd seen him before ( long before I penned a single Shadow Riders book ) but when I kept thinking about Blue and what he looked like, a face similar to this is what kept popping up. To me, Blue has always had the wisdom of someone like Bobby from #SOA but looks as if he could even set the sun on fire. Anyway, I thought I'd sha